Picture of Kuestelberg

Overview of Kuestelberg

For many family researchers who are looking for their roots leading to the village Padberg, according to their last name, the way inevitably leads through town of Kuestelberg. 

The municipality was independent until 1969. Today it is a part to the greater community City of Medebach. The first significance of Kuestelberg is due to a monastery, operated by the nuns of St. Augustin. According to a document, it already existed in 1177 and was relocated to Glindfeld in 1298. 

Since 1339, the property of the Kuestelberg area belonged to the "new house Padberg", but the income was shared by the monasteries of Glindfeld and Grafschaft. Major parts weren’t cultivated until the end of the 15th Century, when a son of Johann von Padberg (noble man from the “New House”) owned the property. There were no hereditary rights in Padberg entitled to this son (- his name stays unknown -), because his mother’s status wasn’t noble. From around 1530, the existence of a "Johann Padtburgh " is provable as an “imperial free juror”. It’s likely that he is a grandchild of the previously mentioned Johann of Padberg. 

Even if there wasn’t a monastery in Kuestelberg any more, the place did not lose any meaning, because an important road, the “Heidenstrasse” (the “pagan’s road”), had previously been established. At this well-known and frequently used trade route between Cologne and Leipzig, a resting and staple place was needed. Leading through the cities of Olpe and Kassel the salesmen and transporting people needed a place to eat, sleep and borrow fresh horses.

Plaque about the ‘Heidenstrasse’ close to Kuestelberg

In addition, the Padbergs owned and operated a well known rest area and hotel with its own beer brewery and distillery. In the center of the village, opposite to the church across the street, visitors can still admire then impressing half-timbered house. At the side facing to the inner court is the following inscription: 

This building was erected in 1666 by my great-grandfather Jacob Padberg - C+M+B (Latin abbreviation for “Christus mansionem benedicat” - Chist bless this house)

The person who was responsible for the inscription was Johann Jodocus Padberg. His son, Adam Padberg (1749-1826) granted us with his diary recordings, an informative view into the life around the turn of the 19th century. 
With this Adam ended the ownership of the "Paves-Hof " (yard of Paves) mentioned in ninth generation of continuously male lineage. Of his living three sons, one became catholic priest and the other two moved to Muenster and Olsberg where they married and had families. 
Adam’s daughter Katharina Padberg (link is in german) inherited the Paves-Hof and married Franz Ewers. The descendants from this family today are still the owners of the place. 
From Adam’s ancestors sons , who did not come into the benefit of continuing the Paves yard, only a few remained in Kuestelberg. Some of the others settled in the neighboring villages and became forefathers of many Padberg lines. 

The house Padberg/Ewers of 1749 (the earlier building was erected in 1666)

Here descendants of the Kuestelberger Padbergs could be traced because of the past family research: 






Oberkirchen, Bigge, the Netherlands, Kallenhardt, the USA, Canada


Hildfeld, Groenebach, the USA


Deifeld, Titmaringhausen, Eppe, Oberschledorn, Niedersfeld, the Netherlands and the USA

The recorded destinations of Kustelberg Padbergs may not be complete. The listed sites are locations where various members emigrated. 

Any additional information that can be added or supplied would be appreciated. 

More (but in German language) information about the history of Kuestelberg is given at the web page: 


Further information can be found in the book by Carl Friedrich Padberg, "Kuestelberg, history of a hochsauerlaendish village". It was published in 1975 by the self publishing house in the Municipality of Medebach Kuestelberg.


back to footprints